Perhaps the most spectacular medieval ruin in the AONB, Muggleswick Grange was built during the mid-1200s for the Prior of Durham and originally lay in the grounds of an enclosed park. Muggleswick is of national importance because standing remains of monastic granges from this time are very unusual. A grange was a farm owned and run by the monastic community to provide food and materials for the parent monastic house and to sell surpluses for profit. A 1464 document shows that at Muggleswick there was a hall, chapel, grange and a dairy, and a large stock of oxen, cattle, calves, sheep, pigs and lambs. The Grange may originally have consisted of several buildings arranged around a courtyard, but today much of the site is occupied by later buildings, themselves perhaps dating back to the 17th Century and built with stone plundered from the Grange ruins. The imposing east gable includes a large lancet window, later blocked and modified to function as a chimney.
In Muggleswick, between Edmundbyers and Castleside.
- On road sections