Ninebanks Tower

The turbulent days of the Border Reivers are evoked by Ninebanks Tower. The sandstone tower is all that remains above ground of a large medieval house, to which the tower seems to have been added in about 1520. The four storey tower has inverted shields on a second floor window lintel which possibly relate to Sir Thomas Dacre (1515 – 1526), the ruler of Hexhamshire. Ninebanks is not classed as a defensible structure because the walls are considered too thin; it may have served as a lookout.
Ninebanks Tower © Natural England/Charlie Headley


Ninebanks village.


  • On road sections



  • Car parking